Wednesday, November 24, 2010

John Robinson's Charge to the Pilgrims

As I think about Thanksgiving and the pilgrims, I came across this quote from John Robinson who was the pastor of the separatist/puritan group that chose to send pilgrims to the New World. He was giving the group who was to embark upon the great voyage in the Mayflower and the Speedwell I final charge before they left.
His words are very poignant even now:

“I charge you before God…that you follow me no further than you have seen me follow the Lord Jesus Christ. If God reveals anything to you by any other instrument of His, be as ready to receive it as you were to receive any truth by my ministry, for I am verily persuaded the Lord hath more truth yet to break forth out of His Holy Word. For my part, I cannot sufficiently bewail the condition of those reformed churches which…will go, at present, no further than the instruments of their reformation. The Lutherans cannot be drawn to go beyond what Luther saw; whatever part of His will our God had revealed to Calvin, they will rather die than embrace it; and the Calvinists, you see, stick fast where they were left by that great man of God, who yet saw not all things. This is a misery much to be lamented…I beseech you, remember it, tis an article of your church covenant--that you shall be ready to receive what ever truth shall be made known to you from the word of God."


May we go wherever the Word of God leads us!

Posted via email from Caleb's posterous

No comments: