Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Kramer's Racist Tirade

USA TODAY Reports:

Comedian Michael Richards, better known as the character Kramer from TV's Seinfeld, apologized Monday night for a racist tirade at a West Los Angeles comedy club that was
captured in a grainy cellphone video and seen by millions of people on the Internet Monday.

"I lost my temper on stage," Richards, 57, said on Late Night With David Letterman. Excerpts
were shown on CBS Evening News.

"I was at a comedy club trying to do my act, and I got heckled and I took it badly and went
into a rage," Richards said. "For me to be at a comedy club and flip out and say this crap —
you know, I'm deeply, deeply sorry. I'm not a racist. That's what is so insane about this."

Does the "I lost my temper...I was in a rage" excuse really cut it? Someone has said what comes out of you when you are shoved is what was inside of you all along. But Jesus said it better:

Mark 7:14-23 After He called the crowd to Him again, He began saying to them, “Listen to Me, all of you, and understand: there is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man. [“If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.”] When he had left the crowd and entered the house, His disciples questioned Him about the parable. And He said to them, “Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him, because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?” (Thus He declared all foods clean.) And He was saying, “That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man. “For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness. “All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man.”NASB95

So what we have in all of this is a window into Michael Richards' heart. What comes out of our heart when we are bumped? We all have the same fundamental problem. Our hearts are wicked. The only solution is that God gives us new hearts. Thankfully God is in the business of doing just that!

Ezekiel 36:25-27 “Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. “Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.NASB95

This is called the New Covenant and it is only possible for those who turn away from their sin and turn to Christ as their Savior and Lord.

No comments: